January 26, 2017 Public Committee Meeting Minutes
Public Committee Meeting
Town of Madisonville
403 St. Francis St.
January 26, 2017
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Pelloat.
On roll call the following were present: Mayor Pelloat, Councilmen Bounds, Hitzman, Haddox, Doran and Bouey.
The pledge was led by Councilman Doran.
Parks and Recreation:
1. Policies and Procedures for the rental of the park and playground – after much discussion regarding length of time for one group to use the field, fees to be charged and insurance Mayor Pelloat asked that a list of recommendations would be compiled and brought to the Council for consideration.
2. Pine Street Park improvements – Mayor Pelloat reported that completion of the deal with Coquille to improve parking on Pine St. is close. He stated that pictures are here of the proposed parking improvements for anyone to review.
Nothing at this time.
Operations and Maintenance:
1. Orange cones, planting on town property (Chapter 7 Streets, Sidewalks and Public Ways, Section 7.1) – Brent Saba-401 St. Louis St. voiced his voiced his disagreement with the removal of the trees; Beth Fisher 303 Pine St. voiced her concern and doesn’t agree with the fairness of the situation; Councilman Haddox stated he would be in favor of putting funds toward a plan. Councilman Doran stated he would be in favor of grandfathering. Joey Mahon 201 Rampart St. asked who wants the property in front of his home cleared? Councilman Bounds responded that it impedes the sidewalk, that the sidewalk needs to be cleaned up. Mr. Mahon stated there is no sidewalk that is does not infringe on anything. Councilman Haddox stated that it needs to be trimmed back for minimum walkway. Mr. Mahon voiced his concerns about the barricade and Dead End sign on Rampart St. His stated that it hinders access to his property. Councilman Haddox stated there is still room to walk down it. Susan Kierr-301 St. Paul stated that she stopped the bulldozer from going in to scrape out the roadway due to it being a wetlands area. She suggested the barricade be moved to the edge of the wetlands.
At this time Adam Bermudez-502 Water St. reported he had researched other areas, such as Jefferson Parish, regarding plantings and they promote plantings. He stated that if it is about parking then maybe we need to pave it and there will be no maintenance.
Also at this time Mrs. Eckert-156 Riverlane- stated that beautification is important and she suggested a grandfathering clause for current plantings.
Mayor Pelloat stated that taking out the trees was never intended to be the end of the story. He stated beautification is important to all and would rebuild as we see fit and go forth with a master plan. Mayor Pelloat stated that it is about parking and utilities and if parking for the commercial/business is not supported it will kill them. Also if there is no parking - no one will come.
2. Location of fireworks sales in town – Councilman Haddox presented and read a draft of possible ordinance governing fireworks in Madisonville. (See attached). Mayor Pelloat that it is just a thought for consideration to take home. He stated we may need to look at other ordinances reference shooting fireworks. Councilman Doran stated permitting should be a part of Council approval, that all commercial permits be brought to the council.
3. Review list of ordinances previously discussed for change – Councilman Haddox stated that a list of ordinances that need to be reviewed before action is taken was presented to the Council for consideration.
1. Groundwater Protection Ordinance – Mayor Pelloat stated nothing has been done with the ordinance and that the attorney has made some recommendations and he will provide them for the committee to review. He stated that it will be on next month’s agenda for possible decisions.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned on motion of Councilman Bounds and seconded by Councilman Haddox, all were in favor.
Joyce Core, Clerk